Virginia’s Alt Right: A Bunch of Crap
In the seemingly endless exchanges of comments on social media and in political discussions between people of similar political beliefs, there is one group that stands out above the conservative crowd as totally unreasonable, unwavering and a total bunch of blowhard asses: The Alt Right. In Virginia, the Alt Right has a blowhardy blog called the Virginia Underground Railroad, which publishes incendiary pieces about leftists and attacks those on the right it deems as “establishment” politicians in office for their records, their affiliations and a myriad of other things.
The Alt Right “movement” is not a brand new phenomenon. The term was adopted by white supremacists in 2010 and the leftstream media seems to have amped-up awareness of an Alt Right movement during the 2016 Presidential campaign, falsely labeling Donald Trump and some of his staff and supporters as “Alt Right”. However, there are still some (perhaps many) in the conservative political ether that cling to the Alt Right ideal, which is disturbing upon inspection.
In the Virginia Underground Railroad’s September 23, 2016 blog defining “Virginia’s Alt Right”, they give credit to the outline of the basic tenets of the movement to another blog, Vox Popoli. Interestingly, while they give credit and link these basic principles, they changed some of the wording from the cited Vox Popoli blog. So what are these tenets? Here they are, enumerated and commented upon as listed in the Virginia Underground Railroad blog:
- The Alt Right is of the political right in both the American and the European sense of the term. Socialists are not Alt Right. Progressives are not Alt Right. Liberals are not Alt Right. Communists, Marxists, Marxians, cultural Marxists, and neocons are not Alt Right.
So we’re defining who is not Alt Right, but who is Alt Right, right? We’ll keep going.
2. The Alt Right is an ALTERNATIVE to the mainstream conservative movement in the USA that is nominally encapsulated by Russel Kirk's 10 Conservative Principles, but in reality has devolved towards progressivism. It is also an alternative to libertarianism
Read: The Alt Right is so conservative, even the Tea Party wasn’t conservative enough for us. This tenet also editorializes that the mainstream conservative movement has “devolved toward progressivism”, but fails to define what that means in their view. My question would be, what is your idea of “progressivism”? Both sides trying to work together? That’s progress I can get behind because it serves the people.
- The Alt Right is not a defensive attitude and rejects the concept of noble and principled defeat. It is a forward-thinking philosophy of offense, in every sense of that term. The Alt Right believes in victory through persistence and remaining in harmony with science, reality, cultural tradition, and the lessons of history.
So they claim to be forward-thinking, but don’t like progressivism? I actually appreciate the belief in victory through persistence, but the comment about “remaining in harmony with science, reality, cultural tradition and the lessons of history” is interesting. It’s also the first mention of science. There are more as you will see. I’d also like the term “cultural tradition” to be defined, but it isn’t.
- The Alt Right believes Western civilization is the pinnacle of human achievement and supports its three foundational pillars: Christianity, the European nations, and the Graeco-Roman legacy.
I’m down with Western civilizations being the pinnacle of human achievement, but doesn’t supporting the pillar of Christianity fly in the face of science? And please note the omission of the “Judeo” part of what is normally referred to as a “Judeo-Christian” ethos. This tenet is also very Euro-centric. Hold on to that, we’ll come back to that in a bit.
- The Alt Right is openly and avowedly nationalist. It supports all nationalisms and the right of all nations to exist, homogeneous and unadulterated by foreign invasion and immigration.
- The Alt Right is anti-globalist. It opposes all groups who work for globalist ideals or globalist objectives
These two are lumped together because they piggy-back off of one another. The statement about homogeneous nations unadulterated by foreign invasion and immigration is interesting, don’t you think? Has America ever been homogeneous? Will it ever be? And if you believe this tenet, there must be a plan to work toward this, yes? I’d be interested to know what that is, because it sounds like it could be alluding to ethnic cleansing, if you ask me.
- The Alt Right is anti-equalitarian. It rejects the idea of equality for the same reason it rejects the ideas of unicorns and leprechauns, noting that human equality does not exist in any observable scientific, legal, material, intellectual, sexual, or spiritual form.
This is the first one I can get on board with. Equality is a unicorn. It does not exist. Neither does fairness. Rock on with this philosophy, but so far, this is the only one that doesn’t sound like bullshit. Oh, and leprechauns totally exists. You’ll see on March 17th!
8. The Alt Right is scientodific. It presumptively accepts the current conclusions of the scientific method (scientody), while understanding a) these conclusions are liable to future revision, b) that scientistry is susceptible to corruption, and c) that the so-called scientific consensus is not based on scientody, but democracy, and is therefore intrinsically unscientific
Ok, guys… scientodific, scientody and scientistry are not words in the English language! Where the hell did you come up with these? And if you’re so concentrated on science, where does Christianity (or Judeo-Christian ethos) factor into it? Smelling the bullshit yet?
(Side note, yes, I know “leftstream” is also not a word in the English language, nor is “blowhardy”)
9. The Alt Right believes identity > culture > politics
Identity is greater than culture. Who’s identity? Individual identity? Group identity? National identity? What are we talking about here? Culture is greater than politics. But doesn’t culture drive politics in most democratic republics? This is how a society progresses and evolves, is it not?
- The Alt Right is opposed to the rule or domination of any native ethnic group by another, particularly in the sovereign homelands of the dominated peoples. The Alt Right is opposed to any non-native ethnic group obtaining excessive influence in any society through nepotism, tribalism, or any other means.
“Opposed to any non-native ethnic group obtaining excessive influence…” So by that rationale, the Native Americans should be in power, yes? To be fair, I think the sentiment behind this tenet is altruistic, but when combined with some of the other bullshit on this list, it loses its altruism entirely.
- The Alt Right understands that diversity + proximity = war.
Again, a nice little hat-tip to a homogenous society, which can likely only be accomplished through ethnic cleansing. I would argue that diversity + proximity = evolution, but who the hell am I to throw common sense and reason into the mix?
12. The Alt Right doesn't care what you think of it
Including self-avowed members of the Alt Right? And who is “you”? Unfortunately, I’ve seen this tenet played out in person and in social media. It’s a very “I’m right, you’re wrong… and you’re a ‘liberal’ for disagreeing with us” mentality. This is how dipshits like Corey Stewart get to run for Governor and gain a following. He doesn’t care what you think about him. He also appears to hold true to many of the above tenets and some to follow.
- The Alt Right rejects international free trade and the free movement of peoples that free trade requires. The benefits of intranational free trade is not evidence for the benefits of international free trade.
Another hat-tip to nationalism. I could probably write a whole article on the pros and cons of international free trade. Suffice it to say, trade anywhere, whether international or intranational needs to be equal to work for everyone, right? But they already told us equality is a unicorn, so where does that leave us. Throw out your smart phones, folks!
Now here’s a doozy…
14. The Alt Right believes we must defend and protect the Caucasian race. We must reverse the population decline of whites in the Western world.
Interestingly, this tenet was the only one altered by the authors of the Virginia Underground Railroad from the cited Vox Popoli blog. The original #14 from the linked blog reads:
“The Alt Right believes we must secure the existence of white people and a future for white children.”
Now, the difference is in the language. The sentiment is exactly the same. And it’s racist. This is taken right out of the Nazi playbook and, when combined with several other of the tenets espousing ideologies of nationalism and homogeneous society, the picture starts to become clear. And let me be equally clear: If you adhere to the Alt Right ideal and read this and think to yourself “that’s reasonable” or it inspires you in any way, you are a racist too. I’m white, my wife is white, my kids are white. So what? “Defend and protect” vs. “Secure the existence of” is the same thing. I find it oddly disingenuous that the Virginia Underground Railroad blog author(s) (whomever they are) would change the wording on this and not much else. If you defend this, you’re either stupid or a liar. So which is it? Time to pick a side, Alt Righters. You either agree with this or you don’t.
Now, they follow up that racist crap with this statement:
15. The Alt Right does not believe in the general supremacy of any race, nation, people, or sub-species. Every race, nation, people, and human sub-species has its own unique strengths and weaknesses, and possesses the sovereign right to dwell unmolested in the native culture it prefers.
So, ‘up the whites’, but no “supremacy of any race…, people or sub-species.” Is that right? This is in direct conflict to #14. The stench of bullshit is now enveloping the whole movement.
Ok, last one…
16. The Alt Right is a philosophy that values peace among the various nations of the world and opposes wars to impose the values of one nation upon another as well as efforts to exterminate individual nations through war, genocide, immigration, or genetic assimilation.
We value peace, but as #11 points out, “diversity + proximity = war”. We oppose war, but in #11, we just gave you a recipe for it. We believe in a homogeneous society, but not through genocide or genetic assimilation. Now the bullshit is piled so high, you’d need a periscope to figure out where it ends.
Here’s the problem with the Alt Right: Their heads are so far up their own asses telling themselves they’re “standing up for conservatives” and digging their heels in on every little thing that they fail to see they’re part of the problem. And unfortunately, as time goes on in the Trump administration, they stand to be an even bigger part of the problem.
Sure, call me a “liberal” because I *gasp* respect people as individuals, and don’t judge groups overall as a race or ethnicity. Dub me an “uneducated leftists” because I appreciate that my kids go to schools where they’re exposed to different cultures, opinions and beliefs, then use what their parents taught them and their own good judgement in concert with that to come to conclusions on their own. Call me whatever you need to call me, just don’t ever call me a member of the Alt Right… because I have a very low threshold for bullshit and these tenets are pure, unadulterated, grade-A bullshit.
Please like O'Hanrahan is Right on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OHANRAHANISRIGHTVA/